How could Counselling & Psychology Therapy help me?
Psychological therapy can help when the demands and stresses upon us seem greater than our ability to cope with or manage them. This may be because of a particular situation such as a bereavement or big life change such as getting divorced. Also, it can be because of a build up of many smaller day-to-day stressors such as work problems, relationship difficulties, or feeling unsupported.
Psychological therapy involves talking with a Psychologist trained to help you think through these issues. By taking time out in a safe, confidential space psychological therapy offers a place to slow down and think about how you want to live your life. This process can help to free people from unhelpful patterns and behaviours and allow space to think about and choose how we live our lives and deal with the inevitable problems we will face.
As a psychologist I approach therapy from a particular humanistic standpoint. This means that I believe:
- People are naturally prone to be psychologically healthy.
- Psychological problems occur when the demands of any current life situation on an individual are not matched by their resilience at that time – i.e. they feel overwhelmed and unable to cope.
- Therapy involves identifying and supporting an individual or couple’s natural ability to work towards greater health.
- For stress, anxiety and depression, work must centre around helping the client build their resilience or resources for coping.
- Psychological therapy offers an opportunity to learn life skills that will help people manage future difficult situations more effectively.
- The focus for psychological therapy is on the here and now, rather than the distant past. Sometimes it is useful and helpful to think about situations and relationships from the past, but this is always in relation to how they affect any current problems.
- Psychological therapy needs to take place in a safe, reliable and confidential space. The relationship between therapist and client is of central importance.